Ensuring that you have strong foundations before you make a start.
It is imperative that you undertake some basic research before launching any new business or offering and that is no different for when you are launching (or updating) your online presence. Before you press the “Go” button, there are a few very important factors that you should consider first:
- Is your business name available?
- Is your preferred domain name available?
- Are your preferred social media handles available?
- Are you offending someone’s trademark?
Basic research at the outset will help you to avoid potentially costly mistakes and great time and effort in unwinding your marketing and business efforts.
- the type of business which is conducted on the website (for information only vs online shop vs public forum);
- the pricing, payment, delivery and refund policy (where the business sells goods);
- the disclaimer of particular statements or opinions proffered on the website;
- the rights of people using the website; and
- your rights in respect of the website content – protect your intellectual property!
- the website’s information and content;
- representations and warranties and how users should use information included on the website;
- appropriate limitations of liability – including for outages;
- a limitation of liability with respect to third party links; and
- the right to terminate a user’s account or access rights.
Understanding the legal framework applicable to your business in an online environment is imperative to all business owners.
We at Cross the T can help you review your current practices and recommend improvements.
If you would like to discuss this topic, please click on the link to have a free no obligation meeting with Tania White.